Although liposuction surgery does not involve too many incisions, it is essential to understand how to care for your body after the surgery is done. It is vital to care for those areas where incisions are made, or else scarring and infection and will hamper your final results.
So here’s your guide to post-liposuction surgery care.
First 24 – 72 Hours of Surgery
- For the first 24 to 72 hours after the liposuction surgery – it is normal for bloody fluid to drain on clothes and sheets. This fluid is inserted into the operated area to make the fat removal safer for you.
- Wear loose garments throughout the day. Loose garments will reduce swelling and speed up the recovery process. Your cosmetic surgeon will let you know when you can stop wearing the garment.
- Do not sit in one position continuously for a long time. Instead, keep moving every two hours to prevent the formation of blood clots. This movement will also reduce swelling.
- Take antibiotics and pain medication as prescribed by the cosmetic surgeon.
- Depending on your surgeon’s preference, you can remove the outer dressings from the liposuction area. Your incisions may be left open or they may be closed with a stitch. But once the dressing is removed, you need to keep the incisions clean and inspect it daily for any signs of infection.
- Vigorous activities such as sports and exercise should be avoided for the next 2-3 weeks, depending on the extent of the liposuction surgery.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol, as it tends to delay the healing process. Moreover, it can also increase the risk of complications.
- Do not take a bath or wash yourself until you are examined and told to do by the surgeon.
What You Can Expect?
Post liposuction surgery it’s normal to expect temporary numbness, bruising, swelling, soreness, burning sensation, bleeding, pain and discomfort. This will gradually subside over 10 to 21 days. Vaser liposuction can give an additional skin tightening benefit. However, if you experience excessive fluid drainage or pus, foul odour, increased redness and swelling – immediately contact the doctor.
How Do You Maintain?
While liposuction surgery will remove a certain number of fat cells from the treatment area, the remaining cells can continue to store fat and grow in size. Hence, it’s important that you follow a healthy diet and participate in a regular exercise routine in order to maintain a healthy body weight post your recovery phase. Maintaining weight is the most important factor for best Liposuction results after the liposuction surgery.