Hair fall is an extremely concerning and depressing condition. There are various causes of why one witness hair loss. Few of the major causes are listed below.
WHAT CAUSES HAIR FALL?
- Heredity/Family History – One of the leading causes of hair fall lies in family history. It is a hereditary condition most commonly known as male-pattern baldness or female-pattern baldness. This condition occurs due to ageing and happens in a continued pattern leading to receding hairline and bald patches.
- Radiation Therapies, Medicines & Supplements – Hair fall can happen due to radiation therapy given during certain illnesses such as cancer or; it may be categorized as a side effect due to certain types of medications and supplements used to cure a variety of health conditions.
- Hormonal Changes/Imbalances, Stress and Medical Conditions – Stress, depression, anxiety etc. are one of the factors leading to hair fall in both men and women. Further, to this condition contributes hormonal changes/imbalances such as in pregnancy; or certain types of medical situations such as PCOS/PCOD, alopecia areata, trichotillomania, ringworms, patchy hair loss, itchy scalp, infections etc.
- Hair Styles, Hair Products & Treatments – Certain kinds of hairstyles, excessive usage of styling and hair care products, and undergoing beauty hair treatments such as permanent curling, straightening, smoothing etc. involves harsh chemicals interacting with your hair strands, scalp and hair follicles; which eventually leads to breakage of hair and premature hair fall.
- Nutritional Deficiencies, Food Allergies, Weather Changes & Lifestyle – Extreme weather conditions such as hot & humid summers or cold & dry winters lead to irritated scalp or itchy scalp and causes hair to fall. In addition, the lifestyle you lead and the food you eat too contributes to your hair health. Less sleep or excessive intake of junk/oily food or certain types of food allergies may lead to unhealthy scalp and hair loss.
TREATMENTS TO CURE HAIR LOSS
There are several treatments out there which claim to treat hair loss, but not all seem to be effective. It is extremely important for one to take into consideration all factors before reaching out for any treatment. Consulting an experienced doctor, undergoing a proper examination of your scalp along with an overall health profiling helps in determining the main cause for your hair loss.
It is once the cause is identified, the treatment can be recommended and performed. Any treatment must be administered or prescribed by a seasoned professional. Below are few of the most popular hair restoration treatments for hair loss:
- Hair Transplant – Hair transplant is one of the oldest hair restoration methods and most in-demand treatment for hair loss. There are a variety of hair transplant procedures such as Facial Hair Transplant, Body Hair Transplant, Revision Sessions etc. Hair Transplant is a surgical method and encompasses two types of procedures which are:
- FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction),
- FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation)
- Drug Therapy – This treatment consists of managing hair loss with prescription medicines. Drug therapy is effective only for early stages of hair fall or by treating the underlying causes of the fall. These causes can vary from nutritional deficiencies to stress, depression and alike issues.
- Mesotherapy/PRP – With minimal invasion using needles to inject a readymade mix of vitamins, amino acids, minerals etc. PRP/Mesotherapy is one of the latest and modern techniques used to treat hair fall. The procedure lasts for 15-30 minutes depending upon the client and the region to treat.
- Scalp Treatment – This procedure follows the FUE technique of hair transplant called NEOGRAFT. It is suitable for men and women dealing with genetic hair loss issues. This is one of the most successful FUE techniques used for hair restoration.
In our next blog, we will elaborate on each of the above-mentioned hair restoration procedures.